Monday, January 18, 2010

Hangover Boot Camp

Well, you really can learn something new every day. For instance, I found out today that I do not want to drink alcohol the night before a boot camp session anymore.

It all started out innocently enough - I went over to a friend's house last night for a nice spaghetti dinner, a little wine, some Golden Globe watching (Meryl Streep's speech was just wonderful)... We opened a bottle of white wine right up front. It was good. Then we moved on to red, to match the dinner. And, well - let's just say that, with all my recent exercising, my BMI (Body - or should I say Beth? - Mass Index) has - um - changed, and I no longer have a good sense of how much wine I can drink and still stay relatively sober. And let's just say, too, that what I do know for sure is that it's a lot less than it used to be.

Which would have been all fine and good and relatively harmless, had I not had boot camp at 6 a.m. this morning.

When I woke up at 5, I thought - hmmm. I'm feeling a bit fuzzy here. Do I really, really want to do an hour of hard workout in an hour? And I could have opted out. It's my thing, after all, and I can skip it if I want. But - sigh - I've signed up for it, you know? For three days a week, for four weeks... I should follow through with what I've started. Right?

I did warn everyone, once I got there, that I wasn't necessarily going to be all gung ho. "I've got a hangover," I said. And it didn't go too badly - a little nausea with motion things like push ups, a little dehydration (and a lot of water drinking).

But it is definitely not the wave of the future. Not my future, anyway. A new New Year's resolution - no hangovers on boot camp mornings.

No comments: