Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Great Story

I was reading my local HBO blog this a.m. when I saw this item: an 81-year-old Coeur d'Alene activist lawyer had been mistaken for a bank robber, but ended up handcuffed and on the ground anyway. And he defends the actions of the officers!

Scott Reed is the attorney. His son Bruce wrote this explanation of the event in Slate magazine, entitled "How Mike Huckabee got my 81-year-old father arrested for bank robbery." And Mr. Reed himself wrote this letter to the police, accepting the officers' actions.

They both make a valid point. This is a time of high tension for officers in the Pacific Northwest, after the slaying of so many, so needlessly. The last paragraph of Mr. Reed's letter brought tears to my eyes. That we somehow have come to this point. And that we can have such compassion for officers because of the point we have reached.

No comments: