Monday, November 16, 2009

That Whole Acting Thing

So I had my first of three intensive acting classes last night. I was nervous, but it was good. It was interesting. Fun. People were nice - way ahead of me, but nice about it. We did some movement exercises, some voice exercises, we read from scripts, and we did some improv.

And then there was an exciting turn of events. Karen Kalensky, our instructor (up from L.A.), asked if I would like the actors to read some scenes from my movie script tonight. What an offer! I'm very excited. And then I'm realizing - I sure do have a lot of male parts in this movie. Which is weird, because the lead character is female. So I'm thinking through which scenes to use, and which men could be turned into women... Just for the reading tonight, of course - but we have an equal number of men and women in the class, and I'll need to figure out how to give everyone a chance to read. I had not expected Karen to make this offer, but I'm so happy for the opportunity.

In the meantime, I need to read my scene today - and the whole play too - I'm Doris in "Same Time, Next Year" - and do a little research on my playwright, etc., etc.

photo credit: Anderson Silva, found here

No comments: