Thursday, July 16, 2009

I'm Back!

Hello, hello. Oh my gosh. I'm back!

I finished the most recent draft of my screenplay yesterday and sent it off to Paul (my screenplay writing instructor, and all-around good guy) to see how it went. So fascinating, this different process. When I wrote the novel, "Until the End of the Ninth," I felt satisfied with the outcome, no need to continue editing. Sure, there are things to change, even today, but not a whole heck of a lot. With this screenplay, though, it's a different story, and not just because Paul's got great suggestions.

Well, and maybe that's the key - it truly is a "different story." The baseball novel was based on true events. The true events formed the vignettes of stories. This screenplay, on the other hand, is fictional. It has its core in the truth (and some pieces of it are informational), but its essence is fiction first. Also, it's a bit of a mystery piece - who knows what when? And so the piecing together of that - those layers - takes time.

Well, and movie writing is really different from regular writing. It's great, it's powerful - as is writing a novel - so that part is the same. But otherwise, very different.

So, the next step is in place. And me? I'm off for a relaxing day on Lake Coeur d'Alene.

No comments: