Friday, April 17, 2009

SPA "Doing It' Project

When I first started this blog, I wrote about a cleaning-up project that our local historic preservation group (Spokane Preservation Advocates) was doing at the local Interplayers theater. In fact, I helped, as I almost always go to the Interplayers shows, love the theater, and wanted to pitch in. This led to me joining SPA (!) - a really big group, and full of enthusiastic people. Our last meeting was at Bobby and Cathy Brett's house - owners (along with all the Brett brothers) of the Spokane Indians minor league baseball team. What a beautiful home! And how kind they were to let us trek through the place, and hold our meeting there. I had never met Cathy and was able to thank her for all that she and her husband and the team have done to support my baseball novel (which is based on a true story of the 1946 Spokane Indians and a bus crash midway through that season that took nine of the men's lives). They often have me at the stadium for book signings, and Bobby Brett gave us a great quote for the back of the book cover.

Tomorrow SPA is doing another "Doing It" project, like when they cleaned up Interplayers. This one is taking the siding off a local historic home and planting trees, all starting at 9 a.m. at 527 East Nora. Once the siding is off, the house is eligible for the National Historic Register. Here's a link. Definitely worth helping them out (though I personally won't be there tomorrow, alas).

Oh, and here is a photo, back from when we worked at Interplayers. We put on goofy hats. I'm the one in the blue hat. It was very cold that day!

No comments: