Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Acting Class

So Sunday evening I went to a KNIFVES event held by Crystal Reiber from Acting Center NW called "Actors with KNIFVES." It was a class for actors, not writers. But people had told me I should get familiar with all parts of movies if I want to do movies. So I went. And had a blast. Though I feel some sympathy for those subjected to my acting.

It's not like I've never acted before. Back when I was 30 (oh, so many moons ago) and living in Cheyenne, Wyoming, I was in three plays. I was the lead in one of them (a short play that we performed for the nursing homes in town), and had a solo in another. And - well, yes, I'm a lawyer. Which isn't acting, per se, but it is public performance.

And I did have fun with the Improv section in Sunday's class. Possibly it was the topic. Crystal set up the scene as me on a date with this guy (one of the men in the class); we've been dating for a month; he has this habit of ogling other women while sitting with me; and I find this annoying. Well, now, I don't know if impromptu putting together that scene was acting. More like therapy. But it was fun, and we made people laugh.

But then came the awkward moment, when it was my turn to go in front of a (pretend) camera to get a lesson on deliving a line for a (pretend) commercial with a (real) actor - Scott Alan Berk - giving me tips. I'm usually not shy. But put me in front of a camera with one line to deliver about garlic mints and... well, let's just say it didn't go so well. "I'm really more of a writer," I explained to Scott before we got started, to ensure that his expectations were set at an appropriately low level.

Still, the class was a blast. It was good to get a sense of what actors do. And it gives me this chance to let people know that Crystal's group, Acting Center NW, has a coupon on its website for a free dance class. Crystal is a welcoming and kind teacher. Also, for people looking to get head shots, Crystal is giving a class on it on Monday, February 16, from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Post Falls location for $35 - the price includes a head shot. Adam Frangione will be the photographer. Call (208) 704-2767 for more information.

No comments: