Sunday, July 4, 2010

Noes and Toes

Well, I am in Chicago. My new nephew was supposed to be born tomorrow. Everything was all planned out. Many family members had plane reservations for the planned-out bris (my sister's husband is Jewish, so both boys are Jewish as well), which was to be held on July 12.

But you know what they say about the best-laid plans...

So this beautiful new nephew was born this past Thursday instead.

Such a beautiful boy! And big. Very big. Even at two weeks early, he was 9 pounds 14 ounces and 22 inches long. And we thought his brother was big.

My whole job, the next two weeks, is to entertain that older brother - my 2 1/2 year old nephew whom I adore (as anyone who has read this blog this past year knows).

When I was studying the photos of the New Dude (as my brother-in-law calls him), I kept looking for brotherly resemblances. Where can I see the older one in the younger? (the older one, who I held as a baby during the first weeks of his life, when helping the family right after he was born...)

The nose! I thought. They have the same nose. (Which is a paternal trait.) Ooh, and the toes, I thought. The big toes on both boys separate just a little from the other toes (does that show independence??) (Also a paternal trait.)

When I told my brother-in-law what I saw, he said that sounded like the title of my next blog entry. Why so it did - so it did. "Nose and Toes" says it all.

No comments: