Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Wild, Wild West

Okay, so this is a Huckleberries week. And I was late to the most recent party! So no postings by me. Still, the link is worth the read.

Yesterday afternoon, DFO (our fearless leader) posted an entry on Rocky Mountain Oysters - with a picture and everything! And the puns began, with DFO beginning the parade with a reference to Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs and Ham."

For those who might not be aware... well, just read the posting. But they truly are a type of cuisine. My rancher friends in Wyoming served them at a dinner party I attended. I tasted one. It wasn't awful. And I have driven past the sign in Montana that says to be sure and stop by for their Testicle Festival (though apparently the festival itself has morphed into more than that - and not in a good way).

What I didn't know - and what I found out from yesterday's comments on HBO - is that it's a tradition to dine on them after the "cutting" on ranches all throughout the West. (eww...)

photo credit: K.W. Sanders, found here

No comments: